Officially, China is composed of 56 ethnic groups. In addition to these officially recognized ethnic minority groups, there are groups who classify themselves as members of unrecognized ethnic groups.

The Han Chinese account for 91.5% of the overall Chinese population. The other 55 minorities, each with their own culture and traditions, make up the remaining 8.5%.

China’s ethnic minorities are very divers. Many have highly distinctive cultures, languages and religions and are very different from the Han Chinese. While China is desperately trying to 'conserve' the different minority groups within its 'harmonious' society (if not for their sake; surely for the tourism industry), globalization and migration has set the stage for the opposite to happen.

These are the photographs of a quickly disappearing world. These photos, mostly portraits, do not reflect the extravagant shows with the often overly fancy costumes that they like to parade in front of hords of tourists. These photographs are taken of their daily lives; taken as they are. With each ethnic group, a link in the intro will allow you to view photos that go beyond intro and show their living surrounding and circumstances.

For more specific geographical information about the different minorities, check out this ethnolinguistic map of China.
Han (China)Hui (China)Uyghur (Xinjiang)Kazak (Xinjiang)Tajik (Xinjiang)Shui (Guizhou)Miao (Guizhou)Dong (Guizhou)Yao (Guizhou)Yi (Sichuan)Qiang (Sichuan)Amdo Tibetan (Sichuan, Ganzu)Kam Tibetan (Sichuan, Yunnan)Jiarong Tibetan (Sichuan)